Review of the Akiles CoilMac-EX series machines:
Pro-Binding likes the CoilMac-EX from Akiles! The Akiles CoilMac-EX and EX Plus makes coil binding fast, easy, convenient and professional. They are the ideal partner for customers that have medium volume workloads. The CoilMac-EX is a more cost effective solution for those customers that don’t have the production requirements needed for an Akiles CoilMac-EPI system. The CoilMac-EX was built on the same platform as the CoilMac-EPI but with a smaller motor to reduce cost. This is the perfect machine for customers that are looking for a high quality machine with a limited budget and mid volume workloads. There are two versions of this machine. The original round hole design and the Plus version with oval holes. Do yourself a big favor and get the Plus version. It is way easier to insert coils and is simply a better design. Here are the features for each model and the common features.
Features of the CoilMac-EX Version with the round hole pattern. This is the original version of this machine.
- It punches Round Holes. These are the standard 4mm round holes. Round holes are probably more common, but the Oval hole pattern is better
- It has Disengageable Pins. These Specially designed disengageable positions guarantee a clean punch with most standard paper sizes, making the CoilMac-EX very simple to use.
- This model uses Standard 4:1 Pitch coil. Standard pitch for coil binding. Punches 43 holes in a 11″ sheet.
Features of the CoilMac-EX Plus Version with the oval hole pattern. This is the updated version of this machine, so it is preferred.
- It punches Oval holes. These Re Special 4 x 5mm oval holes. As a result, coil insertion is much faster as compared to standard round holes
- This unit has Fully Disengageable Pins. For a completely clean & professional punching of any paper size, all 54 pins can be independently pulled & disengaged.
- Letter 4:1 pitch. The coil pitch is specifically designed to give you 44 evenly-centered holes in an 11″ sheet, so it provides the most ideal hole to edge-of-sheet margins and easier coil insertion. Hole pattern is 100% compatible with 4:1 pitch coils.
Features common to both models.
- All Electric Operation. Powerful punching & inserting capability with a simple press of foot pedal
- Punch Capacity. Up to 25-sheet for 20 lbs paper, in 13″ length (53 holes)
- Full Length Heavy-Duty Electric Coil Inserter. Roller provides high friction and durability, as a result, this inserter one of the easiest-to-use & most durable. Front-mounted roller position gives operator greater control & improves efficiency.
- Foot-pedal operation, hence easy to use.
- U-shaped Alignment Channel. Assists the operator to properly shape the document’s spine, therefore faster & easier coil insertion
- Side Margin Control. Provides an evenly centered punch for all document sizes
- Punching Margin Control. Provides the correct punch-margin-depth for each coil size so it maximizes the document’s tear resistance
- Open Throat and Continuous Punch Guide. Hence an easy alignment and punching of longer documents up to 26″
- Rugged All Metal Construction. Therefore it the most reliable & durable coil binding system in its class
- Extra-High-Capacity Waste Drawer, so you don’t need to empty as often
Remember to always use high quality Coil Binding Supplies from Pro-Binding. This will make sure you get a perfect bind every time!